Thursday, February 6, 2014

Whistle While You Work. . . Well, Not Really -

     It's the beginning of a new year, and like so many other households around the world, we've been cleaning out.

     Cleaning out closets & dresser drawers, passing down too-small items to the next Princess in line (this includes my niece, Princess M) or relegating worn-out ones to the rag bag.  We've cleaned out the play room, passed on & tossed out so many toys I was surprised to find there were any left to play with!  Unused furniture has gone out to the garage, outdated items in the pantry and freezers have been discarded.  We've even turned our Guest Room a place Princess #1 can call her own. (On a side note, you should go find me on IG just to see her reaction when we told her she could have her own room. . . Warning: there is much shrieking!)

     While I wish I could say that everyone cheerfully pitched in and never complained, valuable lessons were learned.  For example, it is so much better to put your clean clothes away in your drawers than for mommie to find them several weeks later in the stuffed toy bin (!).  And another is that while we may not like to get rid of unnecessary items in our lives, doing so makes more room for the things we love and enjoy the most.  And when we pass along those usable items to others, we bring joy into their lives as well.

     After it became clear that there was to be no more excuses, complaints or procrastination, my three beautiful Princesses accepted the inevitable. One afternoon as each was busy with her assigned task, I noticed there was such a peacefulness in the house.  Not silent.  Just peaceful.  As I walked down the hallway I realized they were each humming.  Not in the same room and not the same tune, but each were humming.  I am quite positive that all three would prefer to have been running around outside that crisp, blustery day.  Yet they each had learned one of life's most valuable lessons: contentment.

     Since that day, I've come to recognize the sound of contentment in my Beautiful Princesses' soft, wordless voices quietly humming while working on lessons or chores or a new crafting project.  This afternoon I even noticed it while walking the aisles of the grocery store.  I love this sound more than any other.  I know they are happy.  That makes me very happy.

     So whether you whistle or hum while you tackle a difficult task, contentment is a loverly thing!


     What do YOU do to stay cheerful when faced you are facing daunting situations?

No comments:

Post a Comment